Your mother always told you that it’s what’s on the inside that counts. She’s right, of course, except for when it comes to product packaging.
When it comes to product packaging; quite often, it’s all about the look.
Your product packaging consists of far more than just a protective wrapper or a container. It’s about more than just functionality. Your product packaging is a major communicator of your brand, and its overall value.
Research has shown that consumers spend 75% of their time focused on the visual aspect of a products’ packaging.
Our perception of quality is directly linked to value. Our perception is driven by appearances. We automatically assign a higher value to those products that appear in attractive packaging. As consumers, we automatically make the determination that such a product must be offered through a quality source.
Knowing this, a wise marketer will use their packaging to leverage a purchase decision in their favor.
Cosmetic and fragrance companies, in particular, capitalize on this fact on a regular basis. Studies have indicated that manufacturers have been known to spend up to five times more for the product packaging than they do to create the actual product going into it.
Why? Because they know that an attractive package will garner attention, and convert into more sales.
More than Just a Pretty Label
Even though we’ve learned that having an attractive product package is important, being visually attractive it isn’t the only purpose that product packaging serves.
What other tasks must your packaging perform for you?
- Communicate your brand through imagery, logo, & slogan
- Provide information on your business mission statement
- Answer frequently asked technical questions
- Communicate ingredients and any cautionary measures
- Set realistic expectations of the product’s benefits
- Provide reorder information / business contact details
A product’s packaging doesn’t have to be expensive in order to convey quality. Selecting clean, crisp, timeless styles that employ a cohesive color scheme will reinforce your brand.
Additional Tips for Selecting Product Packaging:
- Avoid falling prey to bringing in the latest “hot” packaging item
- Select styles that can withstand the test of time
- Look for containers that can be used to package multiple items
- Order in larger quantities in order to take advantage of bulk discounts
- Look for suppliers that offer free shipping
- Purchase multiple packaging elements together when possible to avoid color mismatch
- Keep an idea journal, and note product ideas when you see them in the marketplace
Interested in learning more business-building tips and product formulation ideas? Subscribe to my FREE Make Your Own Spa Products E-Course.